by Danielle Andrews Sunkel, Co-Founder WPIC Inc.
Whether you are going to create a Vlog, post a video to YouTube, or you want to step up your Periscope and Snapchat game, you should be creating the most professional video or live-feed possible. It is like a living, breathing, reflection of your business.
Here are some tips to make a great video or live-feed on your Smartphone:
- Use a Tripod– Holding your phone in front of you is awkward and can become shaky and jerky.
- Get a Lavalier Microphone– Your viewers won’t be able to hear you as well as you’d like unless you use a Lavalier microphone. You can find microphones that attach to your Smartphone for less than $150, like the SmartLav.
- Look the Part– Dress the way you would when meeting with a client. Make sure you have your hair and make-up done (even men need to matte their shiny bits).
- Have great Lighting– If you are outdoors, make sure you aren’t squinting into the sun or in a shadow. You also don’t want a bunch of distractions behind you or curious on-lookers or passers-by. For indoors, make sure you are in a well-lit area, natural light is always best, with a clean, tidy background. A white wall is a great background. If you want to get more professional, you can purchase a Diva Ring Light.
- Stay Still– It’s nice to give a venue tour, but if you are using your phone as your video camera, it is going to result in a jerky, unpleasant video for the viewer. On the same note, keep your hand gestures to a minimum, flailing hands are distracting and cause the viewer’s eyes to follow your hands around.
- Be Real– This is your opportunity to show your potential clients who you are and what your personality is.
- Mention your Name and Company Name– The whole point of the video is to market yourself, so make sure you mention your name and your company name. If you can edit, have your website address appear on the screen.
- What you say Matters– Have a clear purpose for creating the video: solve a problem, explain your services or showcase your skills, and always reflect your brand. You can download a TelePrompter App if you want to be super professional and follow a script.
- Make it like Television– The best videos feel like a little television show, so act like you are the host of your own talk or variety show.
- Edit– Your Smartphone will let you crop out the parts of your video where you are setting up the shot or running to stop the video, use this tool for a more professional video. Take it a step further and use Animoto Editor to add photos, music and text.