The course is made up of Lecture Theory, Industry Speakers, Hands-on Practicum (in-person class), Home-study and an At-Home Project. A Course Textbook will be provided, but it is designed to be enhanced by the Student’s own note-taking. Therefore, the textbook and instruction helpfulness is determined by the student them self.
*PLEASE NOTE: in-person classes are on hold at this time due to the Pandemic. Please have a look at our on-line option.*
In-class Course: 2 Days of In-class Instruction + 1 month Home Study + Practical Exam/Project = Certification
On-line Course: 21 webinars + Home Study + Online test + Practical Exam/Project = Certification
Why Become an Event Designer?
- You are looking for a creative outlet in an industry that exercises many design disciplines simultaneously.
- The opportunity to share your design expertise and produce milestone events in one of the fastest growing industries today is exciting to you.
- You are passionate about events and their design, planning, production, and evaluation.
- Helping others and working on teams to produce event design installations that create a guest experience is something you would enjoy..
- You are looking to consult with an existing design firm or begin a professional career as an independent event designer within your own business.
- A professional ‘seal’ allows your client to distinguish between a trained professional event designer and an entry level designer or decorator.
- As a certified event designer, you are committed to your professional development and remain atop current design trends, best business practices, event education, design education, and a commitment to excellent customer service.
- Becoming a professional event designer allows you to stand out from other designers when clients are in search of their event teams. It becomes a factor in their decision-making process.
- A certification through the Institute allows you to draw upon the education and experience of the faculty so you may operate your business very efficiently and avoid costly errors.
The Wedding and Event Designer Certification Course consists of:
- Elements of Event Design
- Tools of the Trade
- The Business of Event Design
- Colour Theory
- Lighting Design
- Backdrops & Draping
- Event Floral Art & Installations
- Styled Shoots
- Marketing & Branding
The Business of Wedding and Event Design
- Owning an event design business is a balanced combination of design ability and business acumen. To continually grow as a designer and business professional, an understanding of the principles of business are necessary.
- Business Operations
- Event Staffing
- Contract Creation
- Production Standards
- Marketing and Branding
- Legal Services
- Inventory and Collateral Management
- The study of colour, emotion, and the psychology of colour continues to be at the forefront of modern event design. Colour evokes mood and creates an ambience that is communicated throughout an effective event design scheme. The use of colour creates dynamic event environments that evoke specific design themes and design schemes. A complete understanding of colour theory enhances the skill set of an event designer.
- Colour Wheel
- Psychology of Colour
- Colour Trends
- Effectively communicating your vision to a client is a core competency of being a successful event designer. Sketching becomes a dynamic medium to build client confidence, showcase your skill as an event designer, and increase revenue through increased sales. An effective event designer is a master at communicating ideas.
- Several sketching techniques
- Rendering techniques
- Sketching tools
- Two dimensional sketching
- Three dimensional sketching
- An experienced event designer is well versed in the art of lighting design. It is often said “you cannot have a successful decor scheme without the magic of lighting”. An informative course of enhancing your clients events with dynamic lighting schemes.
- Effect of lighting on an event design scheme
- Lighting fixtures
- Lighting effects
- Trussing and rigging
- Working with lighting professionals
- In-class the students will participate with hands-on sketching instruction.
Final Practical Project
A Final Practical Project must be completed and sent in for evaluation
All students must complete and submit all criteria of the Practical Project, submit all work, including photos and a video of their project. This project and all supporting documents will be evaluated and along with the student’s in-class success, will determine if the student is to be certified.
The cost of the course includes all instruction, text book, design apron, use of tools and materials in-class.
**Upon completion of all aspects of the course, a certificate with official seal will be mailed to successful students in 4-6 weeks of the final course date (International mailing times may affect timing.)
Refunds will be given provided 5 business days notice is given in writing to email@example.com prior to the class start date. All funds will be returned except the $100 registration fee. There will be no refunds of the course fee once the class has begun .
Safety commitment: All students will be required to sign a COVID-19 Release Waiver and will be subject to temperature screening upon arrival each day of class. A face mask is required, hand sanitizers will be supplied, and socially distanced seating will be assigned. Disinfecting will take place prior to class, a light disinfecting mid-day and again after class each day. If a student has an elevated temperature, they will not be allowed to attend the class and will be sent home. The student will need to wait for the next session or can elect to take the course on-line. No refunds will be provided.