By: Wendy Andams of CV Linens
There is a lot to consider when selecting the perfect tablecloth for your wedding. It all depends on the occasion, venue, and look you want to create. Most importantly, you need to select the right size of tablecloths for your tables. This guide will help you choose the perfect wedding tablecloth and outline why it’s important to iron linens before using them at any event.
Tablecloth Sizing 101
When choosing the right size tablecloth, there are three things you need to consider: the size of your table, the number of people who will be sitting at it and how much space you want between each person.
Tablecloths come in a variety of sizes. However, they do not come in all shapes. An oblong table may require an oval-shaped tablecloth. This is because an oblong table can sometimes require two smaller rectangular covers placed side by side instead of one large one covering the entire surface of the table.
A round or circular shape does not require a specific type or cut. However, it does need to be able to fit around your particular piece when folded once or twice for instance. This means that if your event has multiple tables with varying sizes, then plan accordingly so all look uniform when combined together.
What Is A Tablecloth Drop?
A tablecloth drop is the measurement from the edge of your table to where it hits the floor. Most standard dining room tables have a 30″ drop, which means that if your table measures 90″, then you’ll want to buy a 90×180″ or 120×180″ tablecloth.
Tablecloths with a lower hemline are more formal and are usually used in restaurants and hotels. Conversely, higher hemlines can be used on casual occasions like parties or family gatherings at home. If you want tablecloths that will fit seamlessly into your standard size tables, you might want to use stretch spandex tablecloths instead.
How To Measure A Table For A Tablecloth?
When you’re measuring your table, there are five things to consider:
● The length of the table. Measure from one end to the other.
● The width of the table. Measure from side to side in inches, or if you prefer, in centimeters (cm).
● The depth of the table. Measure from front to back in inches or cm. This will help determine how much fabric you need to purchase so that it hangs over each edge evenly when laid out on your surface.
● Drop or drop length refers to how far down off of a tablecloth should hang—it can vary depending on style and personal preference but usually measures between 4″–15″ at most places we have seen them used during weddings and events.
Do You Need An Overlay Or Underlay?
Overlays and underlays are the same thing, just used in different ways. The table overlay is a layer of fabric that is used to protect the tablecloth from spills and burns. It’s placed overtop of your cloth, but below any other decorative elements like chargers or place card holders. The underlay sits right on top of your tablecloth, inside the skirt of any table. It’s there to protect against staining and messes that can occur during a dinner or celebration!
Do You Need A Runner On Top Of The Tablecloths?
The answer to this question depends on the type of runner you choose. If you choose a tablecloth runner, it will have to be made from the same fabric as your tablecloths so that it doesn’t look out of place. However, if you choose an acrylic or glass runner, then it’s okay for both items to be different colors and materials.
If your tablecloth has a patterned edge, then it won’t matter which side is visible. However, if there are no visible edges and both sides are identical in appearance, then make sure that the front side is facing outwards so people can see what they’ll be sitting at without having all four sides covered up by other decor items like flowers or vases.
How To Pick Fabric For Your Tablecloth
If you’re looking to make a bold statement at your wedding, then choosing the right fabric is key.
● Choose a fabric that will be used in multiple settings. If you’re going to have the same tablecloth for the ceremony, reception and dinner table, it’s best to choose something in neutral colors (like white or ivory) that can work with any color palette or theme you’ve chosen.
● Look for natural fibers like cotton or linen. These are better able to withstand wear and tear than synthetic fibers like polyester or acrylic. When picking out fabrics for your
tablecloth, always consider how often it will be used before purchasing anything too delicate!
Which Tablecloths Will Work Best For Your Wedding?
You will have many choices when it comes to tablecloths. Black and white are the most common, but there are also other colors that can be used.
Black tablecloths are generally used for weddings because they can be paired with almost any theme or color palette. They’re also a good choice if you want to create a fun and casual atmosphere at your wedding reception!
White is another popular option that works well with many themes, including rustic and elegant ones. If you prefer something more traditional or formal, this color may be better suited for your wedding day.
What Is The Right Way To Care For Your Wedding Linens And What If They Get Stained?
Cleaning your tablecloths is very important for their care and longevity. If you are going to be washing your linens yourself, it’s recommended that you use cold water only. This will help prevent the colors from fading or bleeding. Also, make sure that the detergent used is mild and free of bleach or color-safe bleach or you can also use vinegar. Avoid using fabric softeners as they leave behind a residue on the fabric which may cause stains over time. Once washed, place them in an airy area where they can dry completely before folding them up again.
It’s also important to note how much care needs to go into drying tablecloths properly so they don’t shrink or even tear after being dried in a machine dryer:
● The cooler temperature setting should be used when drying linens.
● Do not overload your machine with linens. Keep loads small enough so that there is plenty of room for airflow between items during every cycle.
● Use both spin cycles and if possible try removing as much excess water as possible by hand before placing them in the machine.
● Remove immediately after washing & rinsing.
A tablecloth can be a great way to add color and style to your wedding. Tablecloths are also useful for other occasions, including birthdays, anniversaries, and even funerals. They help make events more festive and memorable.
Tablecloths are available in a wide variety of colors and designs. They can be used on tables at home or in public spaces like restaurants or hotels. Tablecloths can also add that extra touch of elegance when decorating outdoor areas such as backyards or patios. If you’re hosting an event with limited space but want to give it some extra flair, tablecloths are always an excellent decor choice!