by Danielle Andrews, President of The Wedding Planners Institute of Canada Inc.
Are you not attracting the right clients? Wedding Planning and Coordination is a very personal service. For this reason, it is so important for couples to find the right professional to help them navigate this crazy wedding world. Likewise, it is also very important for wedding professionals to find the right clients! The three of you are committing to work together during one of the most emotionally stressful times in a couple’s relationship, and dealing with a major financial investment. This is where creating an Ideal Client Persona can help.
What is an Ideal Client Persona?
An Ideal Client Persona is a map or blueprint of your dream client. This is the client that you wish every couple you work with would be like. By creating a very detailed Client Persona, and then marketing specifically to that persona, you will start attracting exactly those clients!
How do you create an Ideal Client Persona?
Think about what kind of weddings you would like to work on. What is the budget? Where would it take place? What types of themes would you love to work with? Who are the wedding professionals that you would like to work with? What would the look and feel of those weddings be? Once you have fine-tuned the types of weddings that you want to work with, start thinking about the type of couple who would want that kind of wedding. It is time to start building an Ideal Client Persona or blueprint of the couple, and consider every trait and characteristic that this perfect couple would have.
What should be included in an Ideal Client Persona?
When you are creating your Ideal Client Persona, you need to be as detailed as possibly. This perfect couple (for you) needs to live and breath for you. Give them names and personalize them, get very specific!
- Are they same-sex or heterosexual?
- Have they been married before?
- What are their ages?
- Are they are particular faith?
- Are they a particular culture, or multi-cultural?
- Did they grow up in a city or in a rural area?
- Are they city or suburb-dwellers?
- What level of education did they achieve?
- What are their occupations?
- Where do they shop for clothes?
- Do they like thrift finds or designers, if so, what designers?
- What are their favourite colours?
- Where do they shop for furnishings?
- What magazines do they read?
- Are they active on Social Media? What platforms?
- Do they read Blogs? Which ones?
- Are they on Pinterest? And what do they save?
- What are there beliefs and values?
- What music do they listen to?
- Where have they travelled to?
- Where do they want to travel to?
- Are they DIY, DIT, or prefer to hire people?
- How involved do they want you to be in the planning of their wedding?
Think of as many details as you can to create your perfect couple and create a little life story for them.
How do use this blueprint to attract these “Ideal Clients”?
Now that you have created this ideal couple, they need to be the inspiration and driving force behind absolutely everything you do. For example, let’s say your ideal couple is Suki and David. Everything about your business needs to be appealing to Suki and David. Your website needs to be something they would love, your company name, the colours and theme you use. All of your Social Media needs to be something that would speak to them. If you are about to post something, ask yourself, “Would Suki and David like this?” If not, do not post it. In your captions, always speak to your reader as though you were speaking directly to Suki and David. By doing this, you will connect to your ideal market base.
Having a very clear blueprint to your ideal couple will help you to streamline every aspect of your business so you only attract clients like your “Ideal Client Persona”.